St. Ignatius, Montana
We are a rural service that responds to about 400 emergencies a year, with a service area stretching from Post Creek Hill to Valley Creek, and from the Mission Mountains to Perma.
To join the service, you need to be a state-licensed Emergency Medical Technician. Candidates are eligible to take the exams for this license after completing an authorized 110-hour curriculum that is offered most years in St. Ignatius, Ronan or Polson.
Choosing a battery
1. Keep your battery contact points clean and dry.
2. Turn your radio off while charging the battery or remove the battery and charge it separately.
3. Always keep your battery away from heat: direct sun, fire, etc
4. If you have a Ni-CD battery, don’t recharge it before the battery is fully discharged. Every time FULLY recharge the battery.
5. If you have a Ni-MH battery, fully discharge and charge it once or twice a month.
Motorola makes many different models of batteries, with the majority of them falling into three major types: Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH), and Lithium Ion (Li-Ion).
Motorola Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries are currently one of the most cost effective chemistries on the market. NiCd batteries give you more watt-hours of operation per shift than other battery chemistries. They are ideal for a user who needs a high-performance battery and who communicates under extreme conditions of cold and heat (-30C to +50C) Historically, a NiCd battery’s major drawback has been its susceptibility to memory effect, or its propensity to “forget” and not utilize its full capacity. Today, this remains to be a serious tradeoff, but can be minimized with proper charging/reconditioning practices.
Motorola Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries can offer superior operation life between charges. This battery chemistry provides 30-40% longer operation time than NiCd, but does not operate as efficiently in extreme temperatures. In addition, NiMH is less susceptible to “memory effect” compared to NiCd batteries.
One of the major advantages of Motorola Lithium Ion (Li Ion) batteries is their power to weight ratio, which easily exceeds that of NiMH for a lighter, smaller power supply. These batteries tend to be the industry’s most expensive chemistry, and they offer a major advantage of not experiencing “memory effect”.
Teri, did you ever get a belt clip? http://www.discounttwo-wayradio.com/category/beltclips-motorola
Add photos to our photo page
I created a flickr site for ambulance photos, just for fun and on the theory that if people use it, making the year-end video should be simpler. I’ll provide the user name and password to any crew member who asks for it.
Here are some photos of the Christmas Day wreck on Ravalli Bridge: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33688865@N02/
Table of Contents
- Photos from Rattlesnake Fire, Nez Perce National Forest
- After the reality comes the reality
- Lightning strike sets haystack ablaze
- Diamond Horseshoe story picked up nationally
- Michael L. Umphrey
- Katherine Mitchell
- Valerie Umphrey
- Jim Umphrey
- Joe Durglo
- Teri Miller
- Annie Morigeau
- Gwen Couture
- Eldon Umphrey
- Michael K. Umphrey
- Gary Steele
- Neal Christiansen
- Christa Umphrey
Michael L. Umphrey
- Professionalism Powerpoint
- Listen to breath sounds on your computer
- What do fireline EMTs need to know?
Incidents: Flathead Agency
Reservation Fire News
- Deep Draw Update August 17 (Deep Draw) Saturday the Deep Draw fire exhibited minimal fire behavior, largely smoldering and creeping, occasionally burning of pockets of trees inside the fire line. Crews continued to make good progress holding and mopping up hot spots inside the fireline. Palm IR's, or handheld infrared heat sensors, were used to help identify the areas with heat. The hot and dry weather is providing an excellent test of the firelines. Equipment and crews continued opening up access roads. Crews and equipment cleared, brushed or constructed over 62 miles of fireline in the course of the week's work fighting this fire-of that total, 43 miles were indirect contingency firelines.Plans for Sunday include rehabilitating roads that have been opened. Slash consisting of brush and cut logs will be piled alongside these roads. Crews will continue to patrol and mop up hot spots along the fireline.Sunday is expected to be hot and dry with temperatures in the low 90's. Winds are predicted to be light,...